Prior to coming home to NZ I wasn't all that excited about it. Not completely. I mean, I was looking forward to a glass of wine, cheese, steak, seafood, wearing a dress, people following the road rules and going for long walks in the sunshine. I was excited about being able to buy new shoes that fit my size 11.5 feet, jeans that were long enough and shirts that weren't covered in sparkles. If you have lived in a developing country long enough you know what I'm talking about.
However, as you all know... I am a people person. What I really needed wasn't the nice food, the relaxing atmosphere or even the shoes. What I really needed to do was to spend time with friends and family.
Prior to coming back I asked other staff members at MCS what it was like for them the first time they returned home. I wanted to know what to expect, what did 'reverse culture shock' feel like? Did people change that much? Do people even really want to hear about what you are doing? Do kids remember you?
I asked many these questions, and they all seemed to have the same answers. They found it hard to fit in with their own culture, I was advised to be prepared to make new friends because most of theirs had moved on, I was told that it would be awkward and that no one would ask me about Pakistan, that they wouldn't know what to ask and may not really want to know. That everyone at home is still materialistic and shallow and that they all have new houses and fancy cars.
Is the picture in your imagination as bleak as mine?
I was pretty disappointed, though I guess not that shocked. So I did prepare. I prepared to make new friends, I prepared for reverse culture shock, I prepared for the lack of interest and disengagement, the feeling of not fitting in and new cars, homes and extravagance to hit me in the face.
Turns out all of that preparation wasn't necessary.
Upon my arrival I was blessed to find my friends and family eagerly awaiting my return. They asked many questions, prayed, encouraged and offered hospitality. I was met by children asking me to pick them up and hug them and farewelled by children who said they would miss me. I love New Zealand and felt at home straight away, it wasn't awkward at all. I was not slapped in the face with materialism; the New Zealand economy is struggling, too. I was encouraged to see many friends still living a simple life - there were no new cars, fancy houses or big flat screen T.Vs. If anything, the sales got the best of MY materialism.
Thank you to everyone who made coming home to easy - I look forward to seeing you all again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment